This error may be due to issues with your DNS, proxy settings or a firewall. To resolve this, try the following temporary workaround:
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc
- Copy the file "hosts" to your desktop by right-clicking and selecting Copy. Next, right-click on your Desktop and select Paste.
- Once this file has been copied to your Desktop, right-click this file and open it with Notepad or Notepad ++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org)
- At the bottom of this file, type in the following information:188.8.131.52 updater.nclauncher.ncsoft.com
- Save the file by clicking File then Save.
- Once saved, copy the file back to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and replace the existing file if prompted.
Once completed, start your game again by double clicking the game shortcut on your Desktop.
Please note: This is only a temporary workaround and you will have to remove this line once the issue has been resolved.